Fall Foliage in the Smoky Mountains
It’s October in the Smokies and we’re ready for that cool crisp air and all the beautiful fall colors to make their appearance! Well, it looks like we’re finally getting our wish granted and we’re so excited about it. As I’m sure you all know, there is never a real time period for the foliage to begin and it looks like it will be a late one this year, but have no fear, it’s on its way. That just means we’re going to get to experience all the beauty when all of our favorite holidays are in town. You truly can’t beat getting to see the Fall Foliage in the Smoky Mountains and that’s what makes our area so popular to visit during these special couple of months. If you haven’t ever visited during this time then you don’t know what you’re missing! Our guests always tell us that their favorite thing to do is to sit out on their private balcony with a warm cup of coffee and just look out over our majestic rolling hills. The harvest colors you get to see will seem like they’re stretching on for miles. The scenery here is enough to take your breath away and we can’t wait for everyone to get to experience it for another year. We know that you’ll want to snap plenty of photos, so we figured we’d let you know some of our favorite places to visit to view the Fall Foliage in the Smoky Mountains!
- Anakeesta – This new attraction will offer some of the most beautiful views of Mt. Leconte that you can find. At traffic light number 6, you will climb aboard their specially designed “chondola” which will whisk you to the top of the mountain (even the view going up is spectacular!) Once you reach the top, prepare to have your cameras ready to take a million pictures. Trust us when we tell you, this might just become your new favorite spot to see the colors. Not only are there gorgeous views, but there’s also a rail runner, ziplining, playgrounds, forest walks, best selfie spots, shopping, and even dining with a view at their brand new Cliff Top Grill & Bar restaurant. They even have a firepit to sit around and enjoy during a chilly night. Your descent back down the mountain will be unforgettable in the evening as the fog starts filling up the mountains and all the twinkling city lights make it look like you’re seeing thousands of stars. We’re sure you’re getting excited to visit this new attraction this fall!
- Gatlinburg Space Needle – Located at traffic light #8, this wonderful attraction will be one that you will remember for a lifetime. Climb aboard their glass elevators that will take you up to their 407′ observation tower that will show off stunning views of downtown Gatlinburg and our magical Smoky Mountains. You will get a 360 degree view that is bound to make you smile, you may not ever want to leave! The pictures you will be able to take here are sure to make you feel the true magic of Fall thanks to our fantastic scenery.
- Roaring Fork Motor Nature Trail – This is one of the most popular driving tours in the smokies especially during the fall months. Located at traffic light #8, this 5.5 mile long (one way) loop will offer gorgeous views of the lush forest, mountain streams, historic log cabins and grist mills, and you will be treated to an extra special surprise – a waterfall! The Place of a Thousand Drips is my absolute favorite part of the tour and we’re sure you all will love it as well, it’s absolutely beautiful, even more so when it has all the fall colors dancing around it. If you want to get out and walk a bit or you’re a big fan of hiking, this is also where you can find the popular trail-heads like Rainbow and Grotto Falls. You can also tour the log cabins as described above. This is a must-do when you come to town.
- Clingman’s Dome – If you’re looking for a true 360 degree view of our majestic mountains with their wide array of colors that will feel like they’re stretching on for miles, this is right where you’ll want to be. Clingman’s Dome is one of the most popular and visited sites in the area that you will find and it’s for good reason. It’s the highest point in the Smokies, reaching up to 6,643 feet, so you can only imagine the panoramic views that you’ll get to see while you’re here. You drive up Newfound Gap to their designated parking area and then it’s only a half mile walk up to their huge observation tower. Make sure to have your camera charged and ready for this special place.
- Newfound Gap Road – Speaking of Newfound Gap, this is another spot you will definitely want to check out while you’re visiting. This beautiful mountain pass will lead you from the Sugarland’s Visitors Center all the way over to Cherokee in North Carolina. It’s the lowest drivable pass through the Smoky Mountains which means it’s one of the first places that the fall colors will begin appearing at. The views of our gorgeous autumn colors can’t be beat here and that’s what makes this road so popular, so make sure to get there early so you can take in all the beauty and beat the traffic!
- Great Smoky Mountain Wheel – Located at The Island in Pigeon Forge, this amazing attraction will whisk you up 200 feet to see all of the beautiful mountains surrounding our charming town. If you really want to see all the beautiful yellow, orange, and red colors taking over our leaves, this is another one that needs to be added to the list. Something that is pretty special about this particular ferris wheel is that it’s enclosed and it’s heated if it’s a chilly day outside and air conditioned if it’s warm, so you can hop on no matter how mother nature is feeling at the time. They can seat up to eight guests so this is one that the entire family can enjoy together!
We know that there are so many other places to go to view the Fall Foliage in the Smoky Mountains, but these are some of our top favorites. We hope that we’ve been able to add at least one to your list that you may not have visited before. Now all that’s left is finding a clean and comfortable place to rest your head at after a busy day out and about. Cedar Lodge offers two and three bedroom river view vacation condos that you and the family are sure to love. You can book online or give us a call at 1.877.412.3327 and one of our wonderful reservationists would love to assist you with finding the perfect unit for your stay. They’ll also tell you all about the FREE TICKETS you receive as a thank you for being our guest. Come and join our family, we would love to have you! Don’t forget to let us know what you think about this year’s Fall Foliage in the Smoky Mountains!