Kid Friendly Fall Activities in the Smokies
October is here and we’re all starting to feel all those spooky vibes. All the Halloween decor is starting to fill up the stores, there’s beginning to be a little chill in the air, and soon the leaves will be changing to our favorite array of fall colors. Are you and the family starting to get excited to go on your annual Autumn getaway to the Smokies? As soon as you arrive, you’ll be greeted with beautiful views, attractions, dining, shopping, and endless entertainment. All the harvest decorations are up and we’re so happy that it’s time to celebrate our favorite season of the year. One of the best parts about visiting our charming town is that there are so many things to do, so you know that everyone in your party is sure to have the vacation they’ve been craving. Another great thing about our area is that it’s completely family friendly, making us a popular destination for large families to visit all throughout the year. We know that it can get hard sometimes being able to find a place where everyone can have some fun, so we’re blessed to be able to offer that to you all. So what do we have going on this month for the whole family to enjoy? Let’s take a look at some of our fantastic Kid Friendly Fall Activities in the Smokies so everyone can enjoy this wonderful season as much as we locals do!
- Become a Junior Ranger – We know that you’ll definitely want to spend some time in our National Park during this trip so you can see all the beautiful leaves changing colors. Well, our park offers a truly unique experience for the kiddos as well so everyone can enjoy themselves. Kids between the ages of 5 and 12 can become a junior park ranger! All you have to do is stop by a visitors center, Cades Cove, the Elkmont Campground or visit their site online and pick up a booklet (only $2.50 each) for them to complete in the park. It’s fun as well as educational and includes doing exciting things like hunting for certain leaves (it is fall after all!) Once each task is completed, you just have them bring it back to a visitors center and they will receive a junior ranger badge. Once they receive it, they also get to meet with a real park ranger who will have them read the junior ranger promise and answer any and all questions you all might have. This is one experience that the whole family will enjoy and remember for a lifetime.
- Dollywood – From September 28th through November 3rd, they will be hosting their annual Harvest Festival that we can’t wait to check out again! There will be beautiful fall decor decorating the park which is also surrounded by the mountains so you’ll get to see some gorgeous views as well. Not only will there be exciting rides, but the shows here just can’t be beat. During this time, they will be having over 350 free gospel concerts that come complimentary with each paid park admission. There will also be artisans showing off their incredible and unique talents and some pumpkin inspired food options. Best of all, they are bringing back their spooktacular Great Pumpkin LumiNights event which will be double the action this year! There will be thousands of individually crafted and designed illuminated jack-o’-lanterns throughout the park and especially in the Timber Canyon area. To help get you even more into the Halloween spirit, there will be meet and greets with some not-so-scary spooky characters as well as glow in the dark face painting, a glow in the dark maze, and pumpkin carving demonstrations. You can’t beat spending some well deserved family time together at this special park!
- The Island – This popular one stop shop has plenty of attractions, shops, dining, and entertainment and it’s all in one exciting place. They also have their very own harvest festival of sorts that will include beautiful autumn inspired decor all throughout the area. They have complimentary bluegrass music performances presented by Ole Smoky Moonshine and they happen almost every hour on the hour. Grab a rocking chair and get ready to tap along to this wonderful musical entertainment that we all get to take advantage of. The entire family is also sure to love the Great Smoky Mountain Wheel, an enclosed ferris wheel that will whisk you up to see all the stunning views of our rolling hills that come complete with all the different colored leaves taking over. The kiddos are sure to get excited over all the attractions here like the mirror maze, ropes course, escape game, and more. Don’t forget to also check out their Island Fountain Show where you can see the lights and water dancing around to a choreographed set of songs that everyone will love. We love this place!
- Kid-Friendly Hikes – If you’re looking for some more Kid Friendly Fall Activities in the Smokies, we have some great hikes that the whole family can go on. One of our absolute favorites is Laurel Falls, one of the most beautiful waterfall trails in the Smokies. It’s only 2.3 miles round trip, but it will feature some beautiful views of the colorful leaves before you reach the magical and scenic 80-foot waterfall. Make sure to keep an eye on the kiddos as it does get very slippery along the water. Some other great kid friendly hikes include the following: Baskins Creek Falls, Elkmont Nature Trail, Gatlinburg Trail, and Porters Creek Trail.
- Goats on the Roof – One of the most exciting attractions in our area is Goats on the Roof and it’s even more special during the Fall. Here you will find shopping, a sweet shop, gem mining, harvest decor, and best of all – a mountain coaster! Get ready to dash through the mountains and get up close and personal with all the amazing colors dancing around you. The nicest thing about the mountain coasters is that you can control your own speed and they also have carts so parents can ride with their younger kids. Nothing beats getting to see the scenery while getting an adrenaline rush at the same time. One other special part about this attraction is you can actually feed the live goats on the roof! They have an originally crafted “goat-cycle” that allows you to transport food to the top of the roof for the goats to chow down on. This is one experience you all will never forget.
- Trick or Treating – I’m sure everyone is anxiously awaiting Halloween. Lucky for us, both Sevierville and Gatlinburg will be hosting their very own trick-or-treating events. The Sevier County Sheriff’s Office will be providing guests and locals with a safe place for everyone to celebrate the holiday. It will be begin at 5 pm at the Main Jail Facility in downtown Sevierville and will last until 9 pm. The kiddos can actually go trick or treating with local police, firefighters, emts, and more. It’s going to be such a fun time and we hope everyone will join us! Gatlinburg will have their annual Trick or Treat Kickoff Karnival from 1-5 pm. There will be contests, spooktacular costume characters, trick or treating, and more. Pretty much all of downtown Gatlinburg turns into a huge family friendly block party that you’ll absolutely want to be a part of! The police and fire department will also be there and all the businesses will be handing out free candy. Both these events are wonderful and everyone is sure to have a ghoultiful time.
Are you and the family starting to get really excited for your getaway? We bet you’re all anxiously waiting to try out these Kid Friendly Fall Activities in the Smokies! There’s nothing better than being able to find a place that has so many things to do for everyone to enjoy. You are sure to make memories here that will last a lifetime and that’s what makes our area so desired by our visitors. Now all you need is cozy place to rest your head at after taking advantage of all these Kid Friendly Fall Activities in the Smokies. When you stay with us at Cedar Lodge, we offer two and three bedroom river view luxury vacation condos. Our property is located in the heart of Pigeon Forge, giving you easy access to everywhere you’d want to go in town. As a thank you for booking with us, you’ll also receive FREE TICKETS to numerous places in town, saving you $275 a day. Come and join our family, we would love to have you!